I believe this has address the cause of the mysterious death of people in some part of Nigeria after drinking the locally made gin “Ogogoro”
Ever since the Irele, Ondo State incident, I’ve been planning to write a post on methanol poisoning which was found to be the eventual cause of the mysterious deaths.
How does methanol poisoning happen? What’s methanol? How does someone even come across it? Well, methanol is a natural product of the fermentation of grapes or grains to make alcohol. However, when this fermentation is done commercially, every effort is made to significantly reduce the methanol in the alcohol leaving just the ethanol (the normal alcohol found in alcoholic drinks like beer, spirits and wine). The home brewed versions of this drink, however, don’t get the same care and attention and it is really difficult to ensure that the methanol concentration is reduced while not necessarily affecting the ethanol; so it is very possible to have high concentrations of methanol in some of these drinks. Methanol is also found in fuel…
View original post 301 more words